Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Top 5 Quotes



5. I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
-Walt Whitman

The time period of Walt Whitman’s writing was the middle 1800s. Walt Whitman was part of the transition from transcendentalism and realism. He was criticized for his obscurity in his writing, so Whitman thought being with the people he liked was enough, he did not need anything else.

I chose Walt Whitman’s quote because I respect him for thinking that a person doesn’t need a ton of people in their life or unnecessary things to make them happy. I enjoy being with the people I like to be with and I don’t need anything else.


4. Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt did most of her writing while she was First Lady of the United States. She had a lot of disapproval from America because the normal image of a First Lady of the time was beautiful and quiet. Eleanor did a lot of activism and writing, which was not the norm, which is why she wrote the quote about people talking about other people, they are small-minded.  

Eleanor Roosevelt has written some of my favorite quotes and I agree with her on a lot of questions about life and politics. I chose this because I see a lot of people who spend most of their time talking about other people and I see it as a waste of time, all the energy someone puts into talking about someone else could have been used to think about something worthwhile.

3. “Some people hide their beauty because they want the world to see it, others hide their beauty because they want the world to see something else.”
-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a movie that focuses on the very distinct personalities of four young girls. Lena is very shy and not open, the quote was about her because she is an artist and did not want people to focus on her beauty, but the beauty of her art.

I chose the quote about Lena because I see a lot of people who may not emphasize their looks as much as others, but there may be a hidden reason for that. Those people may want the world to look at them in a different way other than what they look like.

2. “Everything's a wheel, turning and turning, never stopping. The frogs is part of it, and the bugs, and the fish, and the wood thrush, too.
And people. But never the same ones. Always coming in new, always growing and changing, and always moving on. Thats the way it's suppose to be. That's the way it is.”
-Natalie Babbitt

Natalie Babbitt is the author of Tuck Everlasting. I enjoy the movie because it speaks to me about life and death. This quote sums up what the circle of life is all about. 

I chose the quote because it is beautiful. The quote says that death is going to come to each of us one day and to not be afraid and sad of it because it makes room for new life and that is a happy thing. 


1. “Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an un-lived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.”
-Natalie Babbitt

Natalie Babbitt wrote this quote in Tuck Everlasting as well. It says that a person should live with what they have and not fear the end, just make it the best while you have the time to do it.

I chose this quote as my most inspirational because I feel the same as she does. If you are alive and healthy, you should make the best of the time you have here. You never know how limited it is.






















No comments:

Post a Comment